• question-icon

What causes swelling and pus filled bumps on the foreskin post intercourse?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in General Health
Question: 2 days after unprotected anal sex I had swelling on the edge of my foreskin (I am circumsized) and then developed 3 microscopic pus filled bumps, I can only see them at 8x''s magnification. They do not hurt, and do not have redness underneath. I treated with neosporin and lotrimin, which reduced the swelling overnight and has returned everything to normal visually. I have no other symptoms, feel fine, no lymph node swelling or irritation anywhere else. Was this just bacterial?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I suggest screening for Hsv

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writung to us

I am dr.kakkar(dermatologist and venereologist).

Unprotected sex is a risk factor for STDs and fluid filled genital lesion within days after sex could be due to hsv infection. I would like to rule out possibility of genital herpes and therefore i suggest you to screen for hsv by elisa (IgM and IgG) at 4 weeks and then again at 12-16weeks.
Another possibility is that swelling of prepuce and fluid filled lesions were simply due rough sex or trauma durung sex. A negative screening test for hsv would establish this as a reason.
A common bacterial infection is an unlikely cause of swelling and fluid filled lesions on prepuce.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist