question-icon

What causes swelling and pus discharge from both the eyes?

Posted on Mon, 9 May 2016
Question: My 3 year old son's eye has swelling and it is discharging from both eyes.

He has very little/no irritation but during sleep it glues very often. Pus-like things (gyey/yellow in color) glues both eyes. Find attached eye image.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Conjunctivitis

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to us.

I've seen the image.

This is conjunctivitis. Clean the eye with cotton soaked in XXXXXXX warm water.

Gentamicin eye drop 0.3% or Moxifloxcin eye drop can be put in 4 to 5 times a day .
Zoxan or Neosporine eye ointment can be put in the eye at bed time.This should resolve in a short while.

Any further query in this regard please do get back to me.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist