question-icon

What causes swelling and pus discharge from both the eyes in a child?

Posted on Mon, 9 May 2016
Question: My 3 year old son's eye has swelling and it is discharging from both eyes.
He has very little/no irritation but during sleep it glues very often. Pus-like things (gyey/yellow in color) glues both eyes. Find attached eye image.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti (47 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
A mild bacterial eye infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. This sticky, thick eye discharge in the morning is usually due to a mild bacterial infection in the eye or eyelid.

2. It is seen in children, usually those who have started attending playschool.

3. Simple eye hygiene and routine medication will settle this.

4. An examination by an eye specialist will help rule out any other cause and to prescribe medication.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

Otolaryngologist / ENT Specialist