• question-icon

What causes swelling and pain in the vagina?

Posted on Sat, 12 Aug 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I am having swelling, irritation, and constant 8 out of 10 pain on the skin surrounding my vaginal area, it is 3 times as large as the opposite side and is affecting my ability to walk and even sleep
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like vulvovaginitis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub or an infection that can be caused by bacteria or yeast. However the possibility of an infection is less in your case because infection is associated with change in vaginal discharge as well and it may change in color, consistency or smell.

The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN