What causes swelling and pain in the vagina?
Looks like vulvovaginitis
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
From your symptoms it looks like vulvovaginitis to me which is inflammation or infection of the vulva and vagina. It may be caused by chafing or friction rub or an infection that can be caused by bacteria or yeast. However the possibility of an infection is less in your case because infection is associated with change in vaginal discharge as well and it may change in color, consistency or smell.
The other reason can be an allergic reaction to soaps, detergents, shower gel and condoms etc.
I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need to get a pelvic swab sample done for the cervical discharge to rule out any bacterial or fungal infection. Apply cold compresses and wear cotton undergarments. Oral anti inflammatories like ibuprofen/acetaminophen are also helpful but they should be taken after a prescription from your doctor. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:
1) Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.
2) Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.
3) Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.
4) Change the undergarment daily, wash it in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes swelling and itching in the vagina
- What is the cause of pain inside vagina during intercourse
- What causes pain and irritaion in vagina during intercourse
- What causes painful lump inside the vagina
- What causes contractions and pain in vagina
- What causes swelling and redness in the vagina
- Pain and swelling in the vagina causes and treatment
- Sores on vagina area painful what could cause this
- What causes severe pain ans swelling in vagina
- What causes painful pimples in vagina