What causes swelling and pain in the lower right leg in an elderly person?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Am having pain in lower right leg. Started suddenly 8 days ago with what I thought was just a shin splint, but by the next day the pain went lower into the top of my foot by the ankle. Now it starts there at the top of my foot and goes halfway up to my knee. Looks slightly swollen. Is real painful to the touch. There has been no injury. No otc pain relievers help, have tried topical ointments, none helped. I am a 62 yr old female.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
X-ray needed to be done

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. It still looks like a shin splint most probably complicated by a stress fracture.

An x-ray is necessary to rule out a fracture and in the meantime, I recommend you use ice packs in the area to bring down the inflammation.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 9 hours later
Thank you!!!
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad I was able to help

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome. If you do not have further questions please close the thread. Thank you. All the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana