Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

128 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes swelling and pain in the lower right leg in an elderly person?

Answered by
Dr. Ornela Ademovi

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 611 Questions

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Am having pain in lower right leg. Started suddenly 8 days ago with what I thought was just a shin splint, but by the next day the pain went lower into the top of my foot by the ankle. Now it starts there at the top of my foot and goes halfway up to my knee. Looks slightly swollen. Is real painful to the touch. There has been no injury. No otc pain relievers help, have tried topical ointments, none helped. I am a 62 yr old female.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
X-ray needed to be done

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. It still looks like a shin splint most probably complicated by a stress fracture.

An x-ray is necessary to rule out a fracture and in the meantime, I recommend you use ice packs in the area to bring down the inflammation.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Wishing you good health and all the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ornela Ademovi 9 hours later
Thank you!!!
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad I was able to help

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome. If you do not have further questions please close the thread. Thank you. All the best.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Stress fracture

doctor1 MD

there is a hairline fracture in the parietal bone of my 9 months old baby as he has fallen from the swing one month back. but now due to minor injury again on the same place, there persist a swelling on the skull. what treatment and precautions should we take?

doctor1 MD

i just wrote to Dr. XXXXXXX Rynne but he never answered me back. I am not allowed to take any over the counter anti inflammatory pills. I have a very painful ankly and just had an MRI done where it was diagnosed as a flatfoot deformity with a...

doctor1 MD

I recently found out I have mild scoliosis I started getting pains in my knee about the 3 rd adjustments by the 5th my kneewas swollen ( don’t know if this has anything to do with it ) I went into a “ walk in center “ they did any X-ray and said...

doctor1 MD

hello , my son has a small hairline fracture of his index finger. I was out of town when this happen. he went to ER they gave him a sofy cast and said it was a non something hairline triangle fracture do you know what this is? also my son took of soft cast and thinks he is fine how long do these take to heal

doctor1 MD

I have inflamed bone marrow in a large portion of my tibia as shown on MRI. I have a stress fracture in my tibia that won't heal (3 months). The MRI also revealed that I have a significant fracture in my tibia. Why would my bone marrow be inflamed?

My blood work is all within normal range as well as SED rates.