• question-icon

What causes swelling and pain in the joints?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello,
I am experiencing sudden onset finger joint pain (all joints). No visible swelling however I have not been able to remove my ring for over a week now. The two episodes are 3 weeks apart. First one being 4 days second one (currently) being 7 days and continuing. I'm not on a statin.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take paracetamol. Further evaluation needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I would not consider the situation to be normal and would encourage you to see a doctor. Although you could be having a viral infection, other serious causes need to be ruled out. I would also insist you to get your blood checked for C-Reactive protein (CRP) levels. As of now take paracetamol or acetaminophen to relieve your pain.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 17 hours later
I forgot to mention that my CRP in XXXXXXX 2017 was 7.55
My hs CRP in April 2017 was 3.3
Does this info provided allow for additional information from you?
I know they're abnormal and I need to make an appoint. It's diffucult to get appointments where I live, Sedona AZ even when you have been established with a provider and I travel by air nearly every week.

Also my 32 yo daughter died from Double Hit Diffuse NHL with last year.
I was told this one is fairly rare in the US and is usually occurs in HIV + patients here HIV was negative.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further work-up needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Sorry for the inadvertent delay in responding.

The possible infection that you are suffering from is a recent one. The report of January would therefore not be of any help. However, it needs clinical correlation to make out the reason for which the CRP was raised at that point of time. However, it is possible that you have an autoimmune condition which is responsible for your joint pain. A detailed work up would be needed to rule out conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, SLE etc. all of which are autoimmune and would lead to rise in CRP levels.

Although certain cancers including NHL are more likely to occur in HIV positive individuals, it does not mean that having NHL would indicate that she has HIV.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Thank You!
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to ask me back directly if you ever have a health related query in the future.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha