• question-icon

What causes swelling and pain in right cheek and jaws near the ear?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello,

my name is XXXX.

my right chick is swelling since yesterday.due to this pain i could not sleep whole night. i dont have any tooth pain but i am not able to open my jaws more then 1 finger thickness. i have a pain at the joint of 2 jaws near ear. what could be cause of this? what is the solution for this?

it started just yesterday... i don't know the cause of this,

this happenned some months back same way but it automatically went off after 3-4 days. i dont know due to what.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most probably you may be suffering from the inflammatory swelling

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your question and understand your concern and it suggest that most probably you may be suffering from the inflammatory swelling but it is absolute necessary to rule out the cause of your inflammation.

If I were your treating doctor then I would suggest you broad spectrum antibiotic, anti-inflammatory medicine, antiseptic gargles and hot fomentation.

If the condition not improved within three days then I would like to get your test done such as
1. Serum amylase to rule out the acute parotiditis.
2. Oropharyngeal examination to rule out the peritonsillar abcess.
3. USG neck to rule out buccinator abscess.

You will have to discuss these steps with your ENT specialist for better diagnosis and management.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 14 hours later
Thanks for your quick replay.

I consulted ENT doctor yesterday & came to know that there is a swelling on the Gums & not on chick at the end of jaw & may be related to tooth. so she gave me an anti-biotic, & pain killer. I was asked to consult a dentist once the swelling is reduced.

I think it should fine afterwords...

Thanks for your initial guidence.

Best Regards,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome sir

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your follow up question; I would like to reassure you that, your treatment now is going in the right direction.

Wish you good health.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist