What causes swelling and pain in left lower sternum area?
Need more information
Hello and Welcome
I appreciate your concern
Please specify the area , back and sternum or back of sternum ?
Is there any history of trauma with this swelling ?
For how long has this swelling / pain been there and is this the first episode ?
What medications are you currently taking, please enlist them.
Wishing you best of health
Dr. M.S. Khalil
Possible costochondritis, rule out cardiac cause
Based on your description, costochondritis appears to be the most likely diagnosis. However , in such a presentation , with chest pain, an EKG should be done primarily to rule out any cardiac pathology. An X ray chest should be done to rule out a pneumothorax. These measures are especially critical if there is accompanying shortness of breath, hypotension and haemodynamically related confusion. If these causes are ruled out then NSAIDs can be prescribed for treating costochondritis, in consult with your doctor.
Let me know if you have any other query
Dr. M.S. Khalil
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Psychedelic mushrooms causing pain in sternum
- What causes severe stabbing pain under the sternum
- What causes sharp pain in sternum after a bypass surgery
- What causes pain in the sternum and tingling on wrist
- What causes pain in sternum under the clavicle
- Sinus infection causing sternum pain
- What causes mid back pain and the pain around sternum
- What causes the sternum more painful with diarrhea and nausea
- Sternum discomfort painful breathing what is causing this
- Pain below sternum causes