What causes swelling and pain in hand after being bitten by a cat?
Please see description
My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.
I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. Swelling and pain is due to allergic response and inflammation. It will take few days to resolve. Meanwhile i would suggest following things:
- Cetirizine one at night for 4 days
- ibuprofen thrice a day for 3 days
- take hot water in a rubber bottle and place it at the site of pain. It will give soothing effect.
Whenever there is such bite history then there is local inflammation at the site of bite. Inflammation does NOT resolve immediately. It takes 3-4 days and in some individuals it may prolong and take more than this time. Only thing required is antihistamine & anti-inflammatory agents(NSAIDs). Both of them i mentioned in my earlier reply. If condition does not resolve with them then the medicines required are prescription only meds and they can only be given on prescription after further workup. Thats the reason i mentioned to visit hospital.
Hopefully you will see improvement in 2-3 days BUT you need to visit hospital if condition remains same or aggravates.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Hand swelling and pain causes
- What causes hand pain after a gym workout
- What causes left hand pain
- What causes numbness and pain in hands and joints
- What causes pains in hands
- What is causing numbness in hand and back pain
- What causes pain and tingling sensation in hands
- What is the cause of bilateral hand and wrist pain
- What causes hand swelling or tightness
- What causes swelling of hands after angioplasty