• question-icon

What causes swelling and numbness in leg?

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been having some numbness in my left leg for quite some time now. I go to a chiropractor and getting my neck and back adjusted helps but doesn't last long. X-rays have shown that I have an old fracture in both my lower back and one in my neck. I try to walk 10,000 steps per day, but average closer to 7,500 on most days. Tonight my left leg has some numbness and so does my left foot and there is some swelling, too. I am elevating my leg. Is there something else I should be doing?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use ice locally.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Besides elevating your leg, applying ice at swelled area and use of a NSAID drug such Ibuprofen should help improve your condition.

It is also necessary to get Doppler ultrasound of the legs vessels to assess any deep venous thrombosis that may cause swelling and tingling.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 7 hours later
Thank you Doctor Spaho. It looks normal this morning, but I will do some follow-up and see my regular doctor. I am getting ready to travel internationally in July and I am always concerned about the possibility of DVT when going on long flights. There is a company called Lifeline Screening that operates in my area. They advertise that they find problems with blood flow in various areas of the body. I like their screenings because they are fast and you get the results almost immediately. They are also less expensive than other options. Have you heard of them and, if so, do you think they do a good job of identifying potential problems? I sit at a desk a lot at work and I think this may have led to some of the discomfort I am experiencing. I do get up and walk around several times during the day, but I suspect not often enough. Is there anything I can do to prevent DVT from forming and becoming a major problem in the future?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Walking, compression stockings to prevent DVT.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

As far as I know, they use medical tools such ultrasound to evaluate vascular problems, so, it is okay to be tested about deep vein thrombosis with Life Line screening.

Best way to prevent DVT is to move or walk continuously, at least three hours a day. If in doubt about DVT, compression stockings can be used and help in prevention.

Hope I helped you.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical