What causes swelling and hardness in leg post leg bypass surgery?
I've had several infections during this time , as well as afterwards, including MRSA. I'm Diabetic and am going to wound care since last late November. Last year when I was discharged, I've had swelling and hardness of the skin on my right leg and this won't go away. Could I have Lymphoma ?
thanks for your question.
what you are describing sounds consistent with Lipodermatosclerosis.
this is an inflammatory condition of the fat layer under your skin.
Pain may be the first noticed symptom. People with lipodermatosclerosis have tapering of their legs above the ankles, forming a constricting band resembling an inverted champagne bottle. In addition, there may be brownish-red pigmentation and induration.
The exact cause of lipodermatosclerosis is unknown. Venous disease, such as venous incompetence, venous hypertension, and body mass (obesity) may be relevant to the underlying pathogenesis.
Increased blood pressure in the veins (venous hypertension) can cause diffusion of substances, including fibrin, out of capillaries. Fibrotic tissue may predispose the tissue to ulceration. Recurrent ulceration and fat necrosis is associated with lipodermatosclerosis. In advanced lipodermatosclerosis the proximal leg swells from chronic venous obstruction and the lower leg shrinks from chronic ulceration and fat necrosis resulting in the inverted coke bottle appearance of the lower leg.
The management of lipodermatosclerosis may include treating venous insufficiency with leg elevation and elastic compression stockings; in some difficult cases, the condition may be improved with the additional use of the fibrinolytic agent, stanozol. Fibrinolytic agents use an enzymatic action to help dissolve blood clots. Stanozol is injected directly into the affected area, Venous Ablation has also been known to help circulation in patients.
I hope this answers your question.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes swelling on thighs and legs
- Triple bypass surgery and leg problems
- What causes sharp pain in sternum after a bypass surgery
- What causes pain and swelling in legs
- Severe leg swelling causes
- Leg swelling and redness causes
- Leg bypass surgery complications
- What causes shortness of breath after a triple by-pass surgery
- Leg rash after aaa bypass surgery
- Kidney causing leg swelling
- Suggest treatment for D12 and L1 compression
- What causes clicking sound in knee?
- What causes pseudomonas infection on the wound site post knee meniscus...
- Suggest herbal remedies for bone spur on left foot
- What causes constant dull aching pain under left breast?
- What causes severe muscle spasms throughout body?
- Suggest treatment for hematoma on buttock after a fall
- What causes stiffness and pain behind right knee in upper calf?
- What causes bruising, swelling and stiffness in arm post injury?
- Suggest treatment for swelling on lower back after a fall