What causes swelling and black discoloration in hand?

Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist

Posted on Fri, 10 Jun 2016 in Elderly Problems
Question: My hand is swollen and black and blue. Happened about a half hour ago?
Seems to going down a little.

YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Probably soft tissue injury or fracture, no emergency for now

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. Hand swelling should be probably secondary to injury. The swelling should slowly reduce. You can use icepacks to reduce the swelling.
2. If there is an injury, it is probably secondary to fracture or soft tissue injury. An X-ray is necessary.
3. If you find the fingers are becoming painful or if there is tingling, then you need to rush to the doctor.
4. At present, if the swelling is reducing, keep ice packs and you can wait. If pain is present, ibuprofen or Paracetamol should help.
5. At present, no emergency, but, evaluation is necessary to rule out any injury. No need to worry about Heart condition, it is not going to complicate now.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad