question-icon

What causes swelling above the sternum, breathing difficulty and fast heart beat?

Posted on Wed, 20 Jul 2016
Question: I have had this mass above my breast, breathing is difficult and heart is racing I would like to know what this could be.. thank you
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Clinical evaluation and examination, investigations to get a cause

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query and the pictures.
To recapitulate: Female/46 - mass above the breast - in mid line - breathing is difficult - heart is racing - wants to know what this could be ...

Please give some additional information:
- Since when is the mass present?
- Is this mass compressible or hard?
- Does the mass pulsate if you put your fingers or palm on it?
- Is it painful or tender or painless even on pressure?

The swelling is above the sternum, the manubrium part of it.
It can be due to:
- Accumulation of fat or a lipoma if there is no pulsation or pain or tenderness.
- If the swelling has developed recently and is tender it can be an inflammatory mass.
- If there is pulsation, and is compressible it can be an aneurysm.

I would advise you the following in such a situation:
- Get a clinical evaluation, actual examination by a Doctor and get the investigations and reference for the Specialists.
- Needs an ultrasonography and color doppler study, contrast enhanced CT scan.
- Consultation with a Cardiothoracic Surgeon and/or Pulmonologist as per the findings.
- These will give the probable reason for the mass and your symptoms to get an appropriate diagnosis and a plan for proper treatment.

I hope this answer helps you to get an early diagnosis and proper treatment, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communications.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon