What causes swelling above the base of the penis?
Possible inguinal hernia.
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
These symptoms could indicate you have an inguinal hernia. This is when the tissues of the lower abdomen push through a weakness in the groin area.
It may appear as a painful swelling in the area you describe. The swelling may become more noticeable and painful when lifting or straining and disappear when lying down.
I suggest you see your doctor who will be able to examine you to make the diagnosis. If the symptoms persist then your doctor may recommend surgery. It is a relatively minor procedure for someone of your age with no significant medical history. The surgery involves replacing the tissues that have passed through the weakened abdominal wall and strengthening the muscles of the area. Recovery to normal activities usually takes 4-6 weeks.
I hope this is of help to you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes swelling irritation and pain of penis
- What causes penis swelling after sex
- What causes pain and swelling on penis head
- What causes pain at base of penis during erection
- What causes bumps in the base of penis
- What causes pain and swelling underneath penis foreskin
- What causes swelling in penis head
- What causes swelling above the base of the penis
- What causes swelling on penis head after a circumsised
- What caused pain and swelling in my penis
- Suffer fatigue, weakness, shaky, post nasal drip, poor appetite and...
- What is the correct dosage of clopidogrel?
- MRI showed borderline right ventricle dilation and left ventricle has...
- Tampon was left inside for prolonged time. Will cause any problem?
- What causes swelling above the base of the penis?
- Not having spleen. Is this the reason for me getting infections very often?
- Cold, cough, congestion in head and running nose. On septra. Could this...
- Took flu shot. Having severe chills and shakes. Could this be due to...
- Type 2 diabetic and toes have been amputated. What are the chances of...
- Deep cut between thumb and index finger. How long will it take to heal?