• question-icon

What causes swaying sensation in the feet and ankles while on Gabapentin?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: my feet and ankles feel like they are swaying are moving almost up to my knees I am taking Gabeptin 3 times a day YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The possible causes should be systematically eliminated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Your symptoms could either be due to problems in the vestibulocochlear apparatus (the organ of hearing and balance located in the inner ear) or cerebellum (the brain part responsible for balance) or due to peripheral neuropathy. I would need to ask you if you are a diabetic. Deficiency of Vitamin B12 could also give rise to such a presentation. If it is due to peripheral neuropathy (less likely) taking gabapentin as well as methylcobalamine (Vitamin B12) 1500 mcg supplement per day for at least a couple of weeks should help in improving the situation. I would therefore insist you to add methylcobalamine as well. However, in case of other problems involving the vestibulocochlear apparatus an audiometry will help in the diagnosis. A neurological evaluation is also essential in order to rule out cerebellar cause.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha