• question-icon

What causes swallowing difficulty, hoarse voice and dry cough?

Posted on Tue, 1 Aug 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have difficulty swallowing, having food stuck in my throat, loosing my voice and dry cough. Almost seems like a have mucus blocking my throat
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Some practical advises. You might need a physical exam.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using HealthcareMagic,

Please let me know since when have you had this problem? Has it come gradually or immediately?

If you have had this problem just a few days, and it has come very fast, with the symptoms of an infection, then it most probably is self limited and will go away soon. Drink plenty of fluids. Take throat soothing lozenges. Take a painkiller(eg. Tylenol) as needed for the pain and aches. Try to rest and especially rest your voice.

If you have had these problems for more then 3 weeks and not getting better, it may be something related with your upper airways. You will most probably need to do a physical exam at a ENT doctor, who also might do a laringhoscopy or bronchoscopy and examine the airways with a camera.

Either ways, if worse or not better, I would recommend seeing the ENT specialist. A physical exam is very important in this cases.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Klarida Papaqako