What causes sudden weight loss with weakness in legs and edema in ankle?

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
I am a 76 year old female. Generally, I am in good health. But over the past year, I have lost 30 lbs. and not dieting. My legs are weak and I have edema in my ankle. In the afternoon, early evening I will need to go to bed to rest. Last month, in XXXXXXX 2014, I woke early in the morning with intestinal bleeding, nausea, and weakness. Blood test indicated I'm not anemic. The GI doctor, after the colonoscopy, diagnosed transient ischemic colitis. No medication was given. I am still losing weight, no appetite to speak of, pain and distended abdomen. When will these symptoms pass? Is ankle swelling and weak legs symptomatic of the disease?
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Elderly Problems

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Few more questions need to be answered

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.

Looking at the clinical history and symptoms, i can comment as follows:
1. Your general food intake is reduced. You are not dieting i agree, but your intake is reduced possibly due to poor appetite.
2. The edema in the foot could be due to hypertension or distended veins or malnutrition.
3. The doctor probably did not prescribe any treatment for transient ischemic colitis as you were already on anti-platelet agents.

The history is very limited to comment or suggest anything.
1. Are you on medication for any chronic diseases?
2. Are the chronic diseases under control?
3. The edema - does it dip when you press? Is it more when you stand or sit or walk around and reduces when you sleep? Any medications prescribed for that? Are there any distended veins around? Do you have any ulcers/ itching on the edema?
4. What are the medications you are taking?
5. How much is your food intake? Do you take plenty? Due to loss of appetite, is it less?
6. Weak legs is a sign of disease? Do you walk regularly? how long?
7. Can you attach the blood test report.

I can generalize my suggestions as above and I would be able to help you more, if you can give me answers to the above questions.
Do answer the queries, I will try to explain to you more regarding the symptoms and disease.
Dr. Prakash HM