Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

What causes sudden weight loss and pinching sensation in stomach?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 6941 Questions
My son is 19..he has lost 30 pounds in the last 8 months...he is smaller to begin with but has weighed around 155 pounds. he currently weighs 120 and is gaunt. he almost refuses to see a doctor and complains of pinching in his stomach. eats very small amounts of food and also has said has a hard time urinating. im extremley concerned, he is under a large amount of stress also. on the up side he does eat but fills up fast so his appetitie is there and remains active and working as a pizza store manager/ delivery person. I want to help in any way i worried sick as his mother.
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upper GIT disorder, consult gastroenetrologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Loss of 30 pounds over a period of 8 months is significant and the cause has to be found out.
Decreased appetite has lead to decreased food intake and thus weight loss.
'Pinching' sensation in the stomach and filling up fast indicate that there is some upper gastrointestinal tract (GIT) abnormality.
A thorough examination of the upper gastrointestinal tract is required.

Stress can also lead to decreased appetite and weight loss.
Stress could be secondary to GIT problem.

Thus, you need to consult a gastroenterologist for clinical examination and relevant investigations.
An upper endoscopy of the GIT is required.
It is too early to suggest possibilities which can lead to these symptoms without investigations.

The other problem that you have mentioned- having hard time while urination.
Urination can be painful associated with burning sensation- this suggests infection.
Difficulty in urination is commonly seen due to enlarged prostate, however, this is uncommon in young age group.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor