What causes sudden weight loss and pinching sensation in stomach?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: My son is 19..he has lost 30 pounds in the last 8 months...he is smaller to begin with but has weighed around 155 pounds. he currently weighs 120 and is gaunt. he almost refuses to see a doctor and complains of pinching in his stomach. eats very small amounts of food and also has said has a hard time urinating. im extremley concerned, he is under a large amount of stress also. on the up side he does eat but fills up fast so his appetitie is there and remains active and working as a pizza store manager/ delivery person. I want to help in any way i can...im worried sick as his mother.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upper GIT disorder, consult gastroenetrologist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

Loss of 30 pounds over a period of 8 months is significant and the cause has to be found out.
Decreased appetite has lead to decreased food intake and thus weight loss.
'Pinching' sensation in the stomach and filling up fast indicate that there is some upper gastrointestinal tract (GIT) abnormality.
A thorough examination of the upper gastrointestinal tract is required.

Stress can also lead to decreased appetite and weight loss.
Stress could be secondary to GIT problem.

Thus, you need to consult a gastroenterologist for clinical examination and relevant investigations.
An upper endoscopy of the GIT is required.
It is too early to suggest possibilities which can lead to these symptoms without investigations.

The other problem that you have mentioned- having hard time while urination.
Urination can be painful associated with burning sensation- this suggests infection.
Difficulty in urination is commonly seen due to enlarged prostate, however, this is uncommon in young age group.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T