What causes sudden weight gain?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Apr 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I had a shunt for NPH inserted a year ago. Since then I have gained 20 pounds, which is significant for me. i don't always make good food choices but I've been steady at might earlier weight for many years. Is it possible the shunt has contributed to the weight gain?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Weight gain is unrelated to the shunt.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical details. Based on this, your weight gain is unrelated to the shunt. The purpose of the shunt is to divert the excess cerebrospinal fluid from the brain.

So, diet control and exercise are going to help you keep your weight under control.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in