What causes sudden weight gain after recovering from jaundice?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on 4 days ago in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 25 year Old unmarried female with height 5 feet and 3 inch. in 2014 I was diagnosed with jaundice at that time I was only 60 kg but after jaundice suddenly I started putting on my weight very fast currently I am 90 kg. Kindly guide me why I am putting on weight though aftet walk healthy diet and being active too. Any remedy for this??
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Can be a case of hypothyroidism.

Detailed Answer:

Though a number of baseline tests should be done initially to find out the cause of obesity in your case.

Yet as you think its somehow related to an episode of jaundice you had I would try to provide you with a possible scenario in which the liver could be the culprit organ.

Most of the amino acid which regulate fat metabolisms like L carnitine and Conjugated linoleic acid (Most important in fat regulation) are produced by the liver.

Jaundice is a sign caused due to either viral or a number of inflammatory conditions in the liver.

In case the liver is inflamed and not properly treated it may affect or damage cells of the liver or a part of liver permanently which may result in reduced levels of these fat regulators in blood.

But as per my opinion, this can't be the only cause in your case.
Your age is just 25 and your weight is increasing despite all measures.

Protocol says that you should initially go for your thyroid function test. Hypothyroidism is one of the most common causes of obesity in young Asian females.

It's a condition where levels of T3 and T4 hormones decreases grossly hence causing severe weight gain with other symptoms like fatigue lassitude lethargy etc.

Go to your nearest lab empty stomach in the morning and give a blood sample for that.

Secondly, an ultrasound of the lower abdomen should be done to rule out any gross problem with the ovary. Ovary produces estrogen which can make you obese.

Thirdly as you have basically asked for liver a liver function test can be done to see if the liver is normal or not.

If all these tests are normal then I would suggest you few supplements like l carnitine etc used usually by fitness people to reduce fat.

However initially please get the basic tests done and follow up with me.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist