What causes sudden weakness in legs?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a sudden weakening of both legs- transient and accompanied by a deep ache in buttocks. Lasted about one minute. Can this be due to hypoglycemia? I do take a muscle relaxant-tizanidine. Could it be related to med?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to note your problem.

If you are on medications for diabetes that are capable of lowering glucoses below normal, then it is possible you have hypoglycemia on and off. The only way to know if you truly have hypoglycemia or not is to test it with a fingerstick blood sample using a glucose monitoring device. If the value is below 70, then it is likely hypoglycemia.

If you do not have diabetes, hypoglycemia is still possible but it is fairly rare condition.

Whether your symptoms can be caused by a low glucose reaction, the answer is yes but it is not a common occurrence. Again the only way to possibly associate the two is to check your glucose at the time of symptoms. I can understand this may pose a challenge at the time when you have leg weakness. So I hope you can find some help.

Regarding tizanidine, it can cause weakness in upto 40% of individuals taking it. So yes this is another potential reason. Check with the prescribing doctor if this can handled in any way