What causes sudden twinge in chest with no numbness or paralysis?

Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: My 57 year old husband had an episode today while driving in which he felt a twinge of some sort, sort of like a string being plucked he said, and then he felt dizzy and like things were leaning to the left. He was able to keep driving straight, though, and the episode was over in about 15-20 seconds. No paralysis or numbness. Background: CABG x 3 in 11/2014. He also had a colonoscopy using Propofol on Thursday, 2 days ago. He still goes to cardiac rehab 3 days a week and works out hard, and he takes his meds as prescribed. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
probably Transient Ischemic Attack

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query in healthcaremagic.com
This is Dr. Swarnava dattagupta answering your query.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern.
From the history you provided, it looks like a case of transient ischemic attack or TIA. The symptoms you mentioned are quite commonly associated with TIA and it also got resolved within few seconds without any residual paralysis. He also has risk factors like age>50 years and cardiac compromised state.
However other causes like electrolyte disbalance and altered glycemic state like hypoglycemia can be the cause also but chances of TIA seems more.
I would suggest a checkup by a doctor, a complete blood count, an ECHO, and a CT scan brain if suggested by your doctor after examination. It might not be very serious right now but these are warning signs of a future cerebral stroke.
Continue all medications for cardiac problems and a blood thinner like aspirin or clopidogrel might be added if not already in use.
You can consult that with your treating or family doctor.

Hope i have answered your question.
If you have any further questions i will be happy to help.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D