What causes sudden shortness of breath?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I have been waking up in the middle of the night unable to breathe and feel like my airways are completely closed
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is due to the allergic reaction and airway infection. Needs care!!!

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you to my virtual clinic HCM!
I have carefully worked through your case, and can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns.

What happens is, after infection of the airways and lungs, there is irritation and allergic reaction of the airways. It causes difficulty breathing.

Why you wake up during sleep:-
Because of the closure of the airways partially due to the inflammatory chemicals that affect on the muscles of the respiratory system.

Management:-
First of all start with airway soothing methods like Warm Mist Vaporizer with Vicks pads in it. Keep it in the bedroom for soothing effect on the airways and a peaceful sleep.

Do gargles with scope 4 times a day. It is necessary for hygiene of the throat mucosa and clearing the back of the tongue from pathogens that may cause irritation.

Brush your teeth before going to bed and dental floss every tooth every day.

Take plenty of water and keep a balanced physical activity.

Avoid animal dander and other allergens. Keep a moderate temperature in bedroom.

A warm bath before going to bed will help assist in better sleep.

Medications:-
If I was your treating physician I would have prescribed you with:-
Azithromycin.
Ebastine.
Montelukast.
Ibuprofen.
A cough syrup.

You will feel better in a couple of days with this treatment option. Sometimes we need to give inhaler Salbutamol for prompt relief of the shortness of breath by opening the airways. But you should start the aforementioned medication first.

Have a wonderful time ahead. Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you in no time. If satisfied here, please give a generous five star rating and don't forget to close the discussion.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up after sometime regarding the treatment efficacy and to see any need to change the treatment options is very necessary. Keep a follow up some days after this visit session ends.

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar