What causes sudden shock in the heart while sleeping?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: what does it mean when you have shocks in your heart while you sleep? The shocks are so powerful that your body jerk so hard that you wake up. I take sleep medication because I am on a Bi-pap for sleep apnea and I am on oxygen therapy . I have a oxygen tank and oxygen concentrator for my home use. i would like to know what the shocks mean. I do have nitroglycerine for my heart.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:

Hello!

Thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that the most appropriate terminology for your condition would be attack, or chest pain.

So, if you have experienced a sudden chest pain, or any other similar complains, that is chest discomfort, we generally speaking about that, say "it was something like a heart attack, or a chest pain", etc.

"Shock", when speaking about heart issues, is used generally to describe two conditions:

(a) "Electrical shock" is used to described a therapeutic procedure aiming to convert certain dangerous cardiac arrhythmias (atrial fibrillation, ventricular fibrillation or tachycardia, etc).

(b) "cardiogenic shock" is used to described a progressive and seriously life-threatening condition, where the heart has undergone very severe injuries, leading consequently to a very low cardiac performance and general suffering of all body tissues.

Returnig to your complains, I would recommend you to consult a cardiologist, if that chest discomfort seems to occur again, for a comprehensive check up (physical exam and a resting ECG, additional tests if necessary), to rule out any possible cardiac implications.

Nitroglycerin should be used cautiously, and under doctor advise, avoiding a potential hypotenstion.

Hope to have been helpful. Greetings! Dr. Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist