question-icon

What causes sudden sharp pain in neck?

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015
Question: I am 72. Was awakened with sharp pains on both sides of neck hurt more taking deep breath. Gone by morning. Concerned if it could be heart.
Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda (19 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Accessory muscles of neck spasm - not related to heart.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking.
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
Based on your query, my opinion is as follows:

1. There are accessory muscles in the neck like sternocleidomastoid, which help in deep breathing or in cases of breathing difficulties, when normal breathing is inadequate.
2. You might have possibly had muscle spasms of this muscle, which could have hurt more while taking a deep breath.
3. Not to worry, it is not related to heart in any way. It is more of a muscle condition.
Relaxation and potassium rich diet like banana, avocado along with neck exercises should help.

Hope it helps.
Any further queries, here to help again.

Dr. Prakash HM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda

Geriatrics Specialist