What causes sudden severe pain in neck?

Question
Sudden severe pain in neck through back of head. very painful but gone in a flash. left side of face - skin ONLY feels numb and in a few minutes most symtoms are gone. History of maternal ayneurisms in family and sister recently diagonsed with brain ayneruism. I am 59. Mother passed at 63.
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Muscular contraction

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic,

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

Description of your symptoms are in more favour of muscular twitching pain. Sudden contractions of muscle do result in sudden severe pain. After an episode of muscle contraction some amount of pain do persist and numbness over muscle.
Sudden twitching could be external stimulus or sudden movement in neck.

No need to worry, you can take any muscle relaxant with aim killer to reduce your symptoms . Most of normal individual do experience similar symptoms.

If you get repeated attacks of similar symptoms in same area or different places need to get examined.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to ask further related query.