What causes sudden rush of heat to face and neck along with weakness and pain in knees?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Elderly Problems
Question: my 95 year old mother was walking to her car when she felt a sudden flush (rush?) of heat to her face and neck, felt her face perspiring, felt achy weak knees. Made it to her car and symptoms stopped. Same symptoms kept occurring on and off all day. Symptoms came and went quickly each time - not sustained.
Bout of diarhea followed episodes of flushing/weak legs/ etc.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
it can be VasoVagal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.
After reading your post, it seems that your mother might be having VasoVagal attack. It can occur due to decrease in blood supply to brain.
I would suggest that she should be clinically examined and investigated. Following investigations may be helpful :-
1. Blood pressure and heart rate monitoring.
2. ECG.
3. Hemoglobin levels.
4. Stool examination.
She should not skip her meals. She should also take care of her hydration. She should avoid standing for long periods. Lying down with head end lower will help in regaining normalcy.
Further medical management can be planned according to the clinical evaluation done by her doctor and according to the reports of the above mentioned investigations.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.