What causes sudden pain with redness in the big toe?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Woke up Saturday, Feb. 11 and my toe next to the big toe was red and hurting. I thought I hit my cats pole with it and maybe broke it. But has not gotten better and is getting worse.
Went to Dr on Monday, the 28th said it isn't broke. It is still red and hurts. Is it possible it is gout?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it could be Gout

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Gout is a very strong possibility. Applicants ice to the great toe. Avoid weight bearing on it. Keep limb elevated.

Avoid meat and their gravies, beer, avocado, smoking.

Drink 6-8 glasses of water daily.

Take Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day for 5 days. Apply ice. Take Tablet Thicolchicoside 8mg once a day for 5 days, this is a prescription drug.

Get your Serum Uric acid levels tested in the blood and sampled from your toe joint.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad