What causes sudden pain in the shoulder?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I stretched last night before bed and felt a paint in my right shoulder, today its 10 worst... I can't even cough without pain and I'm getting headaches. I took Tylenol and it helps, but the pain is back in about an hour...please help
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be muscle spasm.

Detailed Answer:
A sudden pain in the shoulder at your age without any history of injury can be due to a muscle spasm or sprain or a mild shoulder joint capsulitis. The pain can be relieved with a hot compress and oral muscle relaxants. You need to get proper prescription medicines after consulting the primary physician.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes sudden pain in the shoulder? 4 minutes later
would this cause the extreme pain and would that cause headaches

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can cause acute pain and headache.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
A severe spasm can cause an acute pain and headache. A rotator cuff tear needs to be ruled out in case the pain is persistent after an MRI scan.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.