Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
130 Doctors are Online

What causes sudden pain in stomach radiating to both sides?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 3094 Questions
28 yr old female had a child 3 months ago last menstrual was on the 24th. Just got a sudden pain ( 2 hours now ) in my lower middle abd hurts when i press on it hurts the most when I stand up and walk pain radiates to both sides but mainly middle . Please help
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Imperative to see emergency DR if severe pain Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the query, I am afraid the pain you describe might really not be related to a pregnancy. A few characteristics with respect to the pain might be important to note. It is necessary to know if this is the first time you are experiencing this pain or not. The precise area of maximum tenderness, whether you have fever or not, vomit or not are important to be known. Sudden pains as such could be simply an intestinal abnormal strong contraction called colics, as well as something serious. Making the difference would be dependent mainly on a careful clinical evaluation by your doctor. Plain films of the abdomen, ultrasound and a CT scan could be useful in emergency situations, in case of intense pain. Stool exams a, cultures, complete blood counts and C reactive protein measurements could be useful elsewhere and for follow up. It is imperative to visit the emergency room, especially if this is the first time or if the pain is very intense. Such pains could be due to simple colics, or emergency situations like acute appendicitis, acute gastroenteritis in case of vomiting, acute sigmoiditis (colon inflammation and infection),. The opinion of a doctor and laboratory and radiologic tests are compelling, especially if the pain is intense. Consult an emergency care doctor. Simple analgesics like Acetaminophen could be useful for a start in case of intense pain. Please, feel free asking follow up questions in case of need. But it is urgent, from your description in case of intense pain, especially if this is the first time, to get the opinion of the emergency care physician and eventually a surgeon or gastroenterologist, depending on the initial clinical findings. Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health. Kind regards Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor