• question-icon

What causes sudden pain in left-sided abdomen near the hip while urinating?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I went to use the toilet to pee and then all of a sudden the left side of my abdomen started to hurt with this dull achey but stabbing and lingering feeling. It was more on the waist angle (if that makes sense) not on the flat side of the stomach and bellybutton but on the left side of the waist curve. It was unlike anything I have ever felt. It was at a moderate level. Similar to the feeling you get in the middle of your abdomen when you have to go use the toilet to poo sometimes but that feeling is sharper. I was able to walk back to my bed but it was not a pleasant experience. the pain has now subsided and i just have lower back pain (probably from sitting for long periods of time). I haven't really left my bed in a while.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Urinary infection should be ruled out.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

According to your information, it is suggestive of Urinary Tract Infection. One routine urine analysis including culture test will be worthwhile to confirm the diagnosis.

Some other causes could be indigestion problem, constipation, colitis etc. Do one clinical examination by your doctor.

TREATMENT: I suggest to take one course of ANTIBIOTIC (like Ciprofloxacin) & URINE ALKALISER (to be taken with water). It will help to control urine infection.

Some other investigations may be required according to clinical examination and urine test report.

PREVENTION: You must drink plenty of water (2.5 to 3 lit/ day) to flush out the body toxin, take cranberry juice (one glass) regularly, maintain genital hygiene properly, empty bladder in time, avoid unprotected sex (if you are sexually active) and wear clean-cotton underwear only.

Hope, it helps for your information. Wish your good health and take care.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. S Patra

OB & GYN Specialist