question-icon

What causes sudden pain below the ear?

Posted on Fri, 18 Sep 2015
Question: I got a sudden pain just below my earlobe and it is extending to my jaw and inner ear
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Seems to be cervical lymphadenitis.

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having pain below the ear. I would like to ask you few more details.

Is there any throat pain or cough or sinus infection ?
Is it bilateral (both sided) ?

Kindly get back to me with the details.

Based on your clinical details, it appears to be cervical lymphadenitis secondary to throat infection or acute parotitis (parotid gland inflammation).

I suggest you to to consult ent surgeon and get evaluated with detailed ent examination. you may require a course of antibiotics.

Mean time, you can start simple anti inflammatory drugs like tab. brufen (over the counter) 400 mg twice daily.

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist