What causes sudden outburst of temper?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Mental Health
Question: MY WIFE OF 58 YEARS IS A PACKRAT AND HAS TEMPER OUTBURSTS THROWING THINGS CRYING..SHE IS IN GOOD HEALTH .SHE AND I WORK 24/7 IN OUR OWN BUSINESS.SHE IS WELL OF MONEY CARS HOMES ETC.

XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide more details

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for contact healthcaremagic.

I understand problems encountered by you but before we proceed I need to know more history about her behavior. I am noting down the few points and request you to provide details if possible on your end so comprehensive evaluations can be made.
1. Onset of the problem- it is insidious or gradual
2. Course over the time- progressive, continuous or intermittent nature
3. Duration of the problem
4. Describe the first episode ranging from situation, behavior and consequences
5. Her medical history
6. Any history of psychiatric illness for her
7. Family history of psychiatric illness, dementia etc
8. Family history of medical illness
9. Does she started forgetting things ?if yes how long?
10. What medicines she is receiving currently. If any reason for prescription?
11. What social support available for both of you
12. Availability of financial support for both of you
13. Does she received any substance of abuse or currently addicted
14. Any other symptoms

I expect you to provide above details as soon as possible.
Dr Ashok
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 50 minutes later
POUTING THROWING THINGS ARE RECENT.HER MEDICAL CONDION IS GOOD CHECK UP EVERY 3 MONTHS WITH PERFERRED DOCTOR..SHE HAD 2 CRAZY AUNTS .FORGETS LOT BECAUSE OF AKK CRAP SHE SAVED.CANT GET IN MOST ROOMS IN OUR OCEANFRONT HOME BECAUSE SHE CANT THROW NYTHING AWAY..NO DRINKING OR DRUGS.sHE AND I ARE SELF EMPLOYED
WORK 24/7. sHE AND HER IDENTICAL TWIN COME FROM A POOR FAMILY. hER SISTER WILL NEVER DISAGREE WITH HER SHE SAID I SHOULD NEVER ARGUE WITH HER...BS..SHE HAS PLENTY OF MONEY 2 NEW CARS AND LOVES TO SHOP WITH HER SISTER OR OUR AUGHTER WHO LIVES IN XXXXXXX SHE AND I LOVE TO GAMBLE IN VEGAS.WE HAVE A LITTLE YORKIE WHO SLEEPS BETWEEN US AND GOES EVERY WHERE WITH US.GOOGLE ME XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is need for neuropsychologicall testing

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Welcome back.

The history provided by you is much helpful for me to have some impression about odd behavior of your wife.

Firstly I feel there is no psychopathology as some irritability is present in most of us. I frequently encounter elderly during my practice who show no psychopathology despite reported change in behavior. I do not mean she is behaving normally but slight irritability may be due to some frustration or dissatisfaction with something. I am aware that she is having everything in regard to money, cars and house but increasing age, losing her friends may contribute to change in behavior.

Secondly these symptoms may be indication of impending risk of or early sign of neurodegenarative disorders. They are very common with increasing age and I assume she undergone neuroimaging as part of routine check up. If this is not the case in my view subjecting her for neuroimaging with her consent can be planned. A simple brain MRI may reveal lot of things about her brain. I request you to talk to your doctor at next visit for need of MRI.

Other than Neuroimaging she can be evaluated by neuropsychologist to identify early sign or symptoms of neurodegenarative disorder, if any. This will help us to identify even subtle signs and help us to identify the problem in early stage.

In my view these two evaluations will be enough to identify the problem thoroughly.
I hope this will help you to understand the problem. If you have other questions feel free to contact me. I will be happy to help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj