• question-icon

What causes sudden onset of vertigo in a drug abuser?

Posted on Wed, 16 Sep 2015 in Women's Health
Question: 34 year old female, no current medical conditions nor on any medications (I'm her boyfriend communicating on her behalf because of this situation). symptoms-chronic congestion for the last few weeks. Sleep habits are inconsistent. I think she's been awake for 48 hours now. Her diet is also inconsistent and unbalanced. She's not pregnant (has 4 children; 4 pregnancies). Within the last hour sudden accrue vertigo occurred. She said everything was spinning and could not keep her balance. Isn't complaining of any tingling or numbness in her limbs nor in her face. Of course, the emergency room is an option but I'd like a consultation from a doctor first. at this time, she's unwilling to go to the hospital. Illicit drug abuse is a factor. She's a daily abuser of cocaine and heroin, which she consumes intravenously. Last night, her back broke out into hives and are still there. Otherwise, there are no skin conditions, such as rashes or other areas of breakouts.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to various reasons.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The sudden vertigo that she had can be related to cocaine and heroine abuse and can be due to decreased fluid intake, improper diet or hypoglycaemia or electrolyte imbalance.
In case the symptoms subside after a fluid and energy drink intake then there is nothing to worry. Otherwise it ios best to attend an ER for proper examination and specific treatment after a few blood investigations.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN