What causes sudden onset of unconsciousness followed by sweating?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: hello.. My wife was eating this morning and suddenly she leaned over started to shake and became pail and passed out with her eyes opened.. I gently brought her to the floor and I gently brought her to the floor she was still unresponsive and was pail and sweaty and after about 30 seconds she started to respond and doesn't remember even passing out.. what is happening to her
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Has she ever had this before?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what your wife experienced this morning. I have reviewed this information fully and this could have been suggestive of a possible vasovagal syncope. This happens when there is an exagerrated wave of nervous impulse that are not well handled. If this is teh first time such a thing happened, IW ill say monitor only for now. If this happens again, at that time and only at that time will I request a comprehensive evaluation of the possible causes of syncope which could be related to the heart, brain or electrolytes in her system. Keep me posted with this as you monitor to obtain more information for clarification and better diagnosis, if there is an underlying problem.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 4 minutes later
it happened to her last year ... and she also said it happened to her a few times years back before we met
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please, get her evaluated then!

Detailed Answer:

With this added information, I will suggest that she gets a comprehensive evaluation. I will like that she should be evaluated by a neurologist. This way, we can do a comprehensive evaluation to pinpoint the cause and manage accordingly.

I wish you well and keep me updated!
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 minutes later
thank you Doctor for shedding some light it was really scary to see her like that I thought I was going to lose her...
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Oh no....That can’t happen!

Detailed Answer:

God wouldn’t let that happen to you. Keep me updated with her progress as you try to get the details mapped out and her management plan established.

I wish her well.