What causes sudden onset of tight face and sore jaw area in a person with anxiety?
Most likely these symptoms occurred due to panic but need evaluation
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries
I can understand your concern. You are 51 years old male and have stressful life in terms of work. You have been diagnosed with panic disorder and are taking Effexor, Xanax for that. The episode of sudden onset tightening of face, sore jaws, distorted mouth, difficulty in talking, tingling hands can occur in certain situations like panic but also include some seizure episode. So this needs proper evaluation.
If you were fully conscious during episode, there are no involuntary coarse shaking of body, no evidence of frothing from mouth, no abnormal movements of eyes then we can rule out seizures. Still if such episode occur again then visit a doctor for evaluation and treatment. EEG can prove helpful to rule out any seizure focus in brain.
As you also have history of panic disorder so we have to keep panic disorder in provisional diagnosis. In severe panic individuals may develop intense symptoms like feeling of tightening of face, palpitations, tingling, numbness of hands, difficulty in talking and sense of impending doom in clear consciousness. In most cases such symptoms last for about 10-30 minutes. Xanax or some other benzodiazepine on SOS basis can help to reduce these symptoms.
One rare possibility for such symptoms is some ischaemic attack in brain. In TIA or transient ischaemic attack some time this presentation can be seen. But the possibility is rare because in most cases weakness of extremities is seen commonly.
In my opinion there is no need to worry. If such symptoms occur again and don't respond to Xanax then visit your doctor for proper evaluation.
Thanks, I hope this helps you. Please ask again for more doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes sudden anxiety attack
- What causes anxiety attacks
- What causes anxiety disorder
- Does anxiety cause jaw tightness
- What causes periodic anxiety claustrophobia and quite sudden onset
- What causes sudden weight loss with anxiety
- What causes anxiety about the sexuality in a person
- What causes severe anxiety
- What causes numbness in a person suffering with anxiety
- What causes depression and anxiety
- Sight problem. Taking pregabalin for fibromyalgia. Should I stop...
- Found mucus and pus cell in stool test. Suggested to go for colonoscopy...
- Suffering from erectile dysfunction. Taking paroxetine and sustimax....
- On medication for clinical depression. What diet should I take to reduce...
- Alcoholic, suffering from OCD, depression, suffered seizure. Prescribed...
- Trying to quit tobacco. What should I do for this?
- Taking clozazepam. Safe and easy method to stop taking this medicine?
- Taking fluoxidine, lectopam. Feeling weak, anxiety, nervous and chest...
- Aderall induced psychosis. How long will the effects last?
- Started getting panic attack after taking mucinex dm. Cause for concern?