What causes sudden onset of pain in the external ear?

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Mon, 22 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor... My 4 yr old son was on antibiotic augmenting dds 5 ml twice for 8 days along with Duolin respules..... Antibiotic is stopped 2 days back. However nebuliser is continuing. Today while swimming water went in his ear and he is crying since then... Plz help.
Augmenting dds was started because my son had allergic cough n cold for more than 8 days. But no fever was there.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
He seems to have developed inflammation of the ear.

Detailed Answer:

Hi
Welcome to HCM.
I appreciate your concern for your son.

Apparently he is suffering from inflammation of the external ear which has resulted from the trapping of the water while swimming.

Nothing to worry.

Following measures are found to be beneficial to him:

1. Do not attempt to remove visible debris or drainage from the ear.
2, Do not clean ears with cotton swabs or sharp objects.
3. Apply warm heat to the ear to control the pain (fold a towel in half and place it between the heating pad and the ear).
4. Give him Paracetamol syrup
5. Otogesic ear drops to decrease the painful swelling in the ear can also be used.

Hope the suggestions given above could be useful in getting him relieved from crying and the pain.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T