What causes sudden onset of pain in head and legs of a 8 year old?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Mental Health
Question: My cell phone is flat, a child is having pain in her head her legs and tummy or says she is and she is 8 years old. She is having provocative thoughts apparently which are making her indecisive and also believes there is something in her head that is doing all of this to her, what do you recommend ?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs further evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. Sudden onset headaches are commonly seen in children.In most cases commonly used drugs result in improvement. The provocative thoughts need further evaluation and require treatment of needed. If you can mention her thoughts in detail then that would help in making her diagnosis. Her belief that there is something in head could be occurring due to severe pain. OTC analgesics like Paracetamol in 250 mg dose can help to relieve the pain. If pain improves then no need to worry. Get her eyes and ENT work up done to rule out any medical cause.

If headache recurs then consult a doctor and get her CT or MRI scan done. But in my opinion Paracetamol would result in improvement and there would be no need to worry. Association of pain with pain in legs and tummy further rules out any serious cause so no need to worry. Some times in severe unconscious anxiety a child might start crying with complaints of headache. But that is a possibility only after ruling out other causes.

Thanks, Hope this helps you, if you have more doubts you can ask again. Please provide me details of her other symptoms or her provocative thoughts.