What causes sudden onset of fainting?
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern. I take it your son was alone and there was no one with him to describe what happened (any motion of head or limbs, eye deviation, skin pallor or cyanosis, sweating, pulse etc).
In that case there are several possibilities to be considered. First possibility is a transitory heart arrhythmia which may lead to a sudden drop of blood pressure. As a result there is lack of blood supply to the brain and loss of consciousness.
The other possibility is a seizure, loss of consciousness due to abnormal electrical discharges in the brain. At this age a seizure usually doesn't occur out of nothing though. It can be due to a brain lesion such as stroke, infection, tumor etc (usually should be some other symptom though esp in the first two cases, such as headache, weakness of the limbs on one side etc). A seizure can also occur due to alcohol (consumption or withdrawal) or drugs, metabolic changes such as low blood sugar, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance etc.
So assuming he is feeling well now an evaluation is advised anyway. Initial routine tests would be an EKG and some routine blood tests (blood sugar, liver and kidney function, electrolytes). I something is found it will be addressed accordingly. If they result normal and there is some issue present last night such as alcohol use, dehydration etc it may be left at that. If no such issue is involved then a neurological evaluation for unnoticed neurological signs is necessary and should be considered the possibility of scheduling an EEG and head imaging CT/MRI. If there are neurological signs naturally those tests should be done on an emergency basis.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Fainting causes
- What causes fainting when jogging
- What is the cause of faint abdominal cramping
- What causes fainting and dizziness
- What causes near fainting spells
- What causes sudden fainting followed by dizziness
- What causes fainting on airplane
- What causes sudden fainting followed by headache and nausea
- What causes sudden fainting and vomiting
- Sudden fainting causes
- What causes vision issues and incoordination inspite of being on...
- What causes swollen artery in neck area along with painful swollen right...
- What causes pain in back of head?
- What causes episodes of temporary dizziness and imbalance while or after...
- Is it safe to vaporize Cannabis one month before a major back surgery?
- Suggest treatment for episodes of amnesia, nausea and severe imbalance
- How permanent a spinal cord contusion can be?
- Does Cocaine increase the risk for stroke?
- What causes headache and neck ache in a patient with head injury?
- Suggest treatment for sinus congestion that disturbs sleep due to...