question-icon

What causes sudden onset of dizziness in the morning?

Posted on Fri, 22 May 2015
Question: hi there my dad is 55 years old, this morning when he woke up he felt fine then all of a sudden started feeling dizzy. he also said when he finishes going to the washroom this morning there was a little blood on the toilet paper. he looks really tired and when the dizziness hit he started feeling a bit nauseas
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Dizziness can be caused by many different issues.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Dizziness is a very nonspecific symptom and can be caused by several issues including low blood pressure, anemia, low glucose level, narrow cervical arteries, brain issues (infection, tumor), internal ear issues and many more.
Blood on the toilet paper is most likely due to hemorrhoids. However there is a condition which can cause both blood in stool and dizziness. This condition is rectal cancer. This should be ruled out (the risk is not high).

I suggest your dad to consult his doctor and have basic tests including blood work and ECG. Colonoscopy should be scheduled. He should also consult laryngologist and neurologist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon