What causes sudden onset of difficulty breathing along with vomiting?

Posted on Mon, 2 Feb 2015 in Heart Failure
Question: I am suddenly short of breath. Have been choking and/or vomiting every night for months. Very tired but that's not unusual. Have fibromyalgia, had Lyme's. Was hit by a rogue wave in the ocean on Christmas day and fell off a log and underwater, bruised legs. This is probably not related. About 30 years ago had myocarditis. Back pain pretty severe, has been for years. Am wondering if this might be kidney related. Worried about breathing. Constantly aware of how hard it is to breathe (last couple of hours.)
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to rush to ER immediately.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query here.

I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concern.

I would urge you to call an ambulance/911 and rush to ER.

History of myocarditis is significant as well as the history of bruising in the legs after the fall on Christmas eve.

Such sudden onset difficulty in breathing is most likely due to either a pulmonary embolism or cardiac tamponade or acute left ventricular failure.

All these conditions need urgent and emergency care, hence I urge you to call 911 right away.

Meanwhile please do not lie down, remain seated as that allows better breathing.

You can write back to me and update about your progress once you are back from the hospital.

I sincerely hope the best for you.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Yogesh D