What causes sudden onset of confusion in an elderly person?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Aug 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: HI, my mother 73 yoa female called me this mrning at 5am insisting it was 5pm or laer, confused on what day it is....... came over to her house..... no one sided weakness or stroke symptoms other than confusion and not remember talking to me on the phone. still confused on what day it is....and sleepy... called dr he cant see us unjtil 430pm. what should I do... she is reluctant to go to er.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She must be taken to a Neurologist.

Detailed Answer:

As she had acute onset confusion, she must immediately be taken to a neurologist and examined. She might need a complete blood work(especially serum electrolytes, blood sugar, liver function tests, kidney function tests and calcium) as well as a brain imaging(MRI) to look for any intracranial abnormality.

First and foremost, is the need of a physical examination by a neurologist.

Take Care!

Dr. Ajay Panwar,
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T