What causes sudden increase in heart rate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am a 60 year old female who recently retired as Director of Operations, more intellectual and time requirements than physical. In focusing in my physical health and working to increase my activity level, I have noticed that my heart rate increases from a resting rate of 78-83 to 135-155 very quickly with minor exertion on my part. I feel short of breath and see yellow spots quite often when experiencing this sudden increase and I react by slowing down. I note that I recover quite quickly. I am not working out hard core (Curves circuit) and am wondering why this is occurring and if I need to do something differently. I weigh 112-115 pounds and am 5 feet 2 inches tall. Any suggestions??
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend peforming some tests:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I understand your concern and would explain that your symptoms could be related to different causes: anxiety, chronic anemia, thyroid dysfunction, an electrolyte imbalance or a cardiac arrhythmia.

Coming to this point, I would recommend consulting with your doctor for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound
- a chest X Ray study
- a 24-48 hours ECG monitoring would help examine your heart rhythm trends for a prolonged time
- thyroid hormone levels
- complete blood count
- blood electrolytes.

If all these tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of your symptoms.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Feel free to ask me again whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri