What causes sudden fluctuations in the heart rate?

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Mar 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I woke up with a pulse rate 32 and then it jumped to 65 what is going on???
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a side effect of metoprolol

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Metoprolol slows down heart rate and sometimes patients, who takes metoprolol, can develop bradycardia as a side effect.
Also heart rate drops when during the sleep and raises when a person wakes up.
If you have heart rate of 65 now it is good. But I would advise you to see your doctor and have a holter monitoring performed. It is a test during which you 24 hour ECG is recorded, so your doctor can observe if you have slow heart rates during the night.
Until the test I would advise you to monitor your heart rate, if you have slow heart rates and you feel tired or dizzy there will be a need to reduce the dose of metoprolol.

Hope I could help you

Wishing you good health

In case of further questions don't hesitate to ask