What causes sudden falling while with a history of obesity, diabetes and hypertension?

Posted on Mon, 12 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: hi, I'm a 46 year old female with a history of obesity, diabetez, and hypertension.
I have fallen twice in the last couple of weeks. I haven't tripped, I've just simply been walking along and just fell to the ground for no apparent reason. I haven't lost conciousness. What could be the cause? should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible stroke

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I have gone through your query and understand your concerns.

With the history of Obesity, Diabetes and Hypertension, it is possible that you have a stroke. This occurs because of accumulation of fatty deposits in the arteries in the brain. In hypertension, there is damage to the blood vessels.

Diabetes predisposes the arteries to accumulate fat deposits and thus, hypertension and diabetes go together increase the chance of stroke.

It would be a good idea to see a Neurologist to get a nervous system examination done. This will help to see if you have any numbness or muscle weakness of one part of the body. When there are injuries to the brain, the corresponding nerves will not function and cause weakness of the group of muscles or numbness in the area.

In some cases, there is also a loss of consciousness. Thus, I recommend that you see a Neurologist as soon as possible.

I hope I have answered your query. Do ask me if you have more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni