• question-icon

What causes sudden episode of bladder incontinence in a 55 year old?

Posted on Fri, 4 Aug 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi,
I am very worried about my 55 year old very health husband, who is traveling in Europe right now.
He just called me in total distress because he had been at a dinner party, needed to go to the bathroom. But the bathroom was occupied and he had to wait and suddenly couldn't control his bladder and urinated.
Nothing like that has ever happened before, he never had prostate issues (just recently had a clean exam), no other health issues whatsoever.
I am a very anxious person, and my brain goes straight to neurological diseases such as MS or a tumor.
Can something like that happen in a healthy person? Are there other reasons that are less scary than a brain tumor?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to get concerned

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Let me assure you that such a thing can indeed happen to a normal and healthy person. I would not get panicked about it. No need to assume stuff like MS or a tumor. The reason of such a thing can be simple overdistention of the bladder leading to incontinence (when the bladder could hold no more).

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha