question-icon

What causes sudden dizziness?

Posted on Thu, 11 Aug 2016
Question: I am feeling giddiness while suddenly moving my head side wards or trying to sleep. could you please advise me appropriately.
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
BPPV- most likely, need to get examined by ENT Specialist..

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX, Welcome back to HCM..

I've gone through your query and understand your concern..

Your description is pretty clear which is directing towards the diagnosis of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo(BPPV), a disorder of the inner ear due to a few gelatinous,semi-solid/solid particles called otolith.. there are a few other possibilities also but i'm not going in to those details..

For confirmation, you need to schedule an appointment with an ENT specialist who'll examine you and after examination will teach you few exercises/maneuvers and/ medications depending on the diagnosis..

Don't worry, nothing too serious, but you need to get the diagnosis quickly else it'll be very troublesome for your day to day life..

Please don't involve in to any strenuous activities, don't drive for the time being..

Let me know how you stay in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist