What causes sudden dizziness, vertigo, nausea and ear congestion?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Male, 67, sudden dizziness, vertigo, nausea, feels warm, last week had to unplug ears.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be an inner ear issue, betahistine for vertigo

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Your symptoms, especially the vertigo which must be the most troublesome of them is due to an inner ear issue.

I understand you had to unplug your ears recently, but did you discuss with the ENT doctor why you had to do this all of a sudden? If it was just a routine procedure, not relating to any underlying infection or disease, then the vertigo is self-limited and will soon subside.

But if there was some underlying cause then both the condition as well as vertigo will have to be treated, so please do schedule an appointment with your doctor. For the time being, visit your pharmacy and request your pharmacist to give you any medication containing betahistine (preferably a dose of 8 mg) and start yourself on it at the earliest, it will provide you with relief from your vertigo sir.

Please do meet your doctor and get to the root of this sir. I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana