What causes sudden diarrhoea, vomiting, fatigue and abdominal pain?

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 30 Nov 2018 in Cancer
Question: Hi Doc,
My girlfriend is 48 and in good health. She started throwing up around 11 pm last night along with diarrhea. The frequency was around 15 minutes. It has lasted for over 8 hours. She is extremely weak, nearly passed out in the bathroom a 1/2 hour ago and complains about a very severe pain just below her belly button. She had her gal bladder out about 6 years ago.

Any thoughts ?
Answered by Dr. Monish De 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Could be gut infection

Detailed Answer:

Since your girlfriend is having diarrhoea whose frequency was around 15 minutes and lasted over 8 hours and is extremely weak I would advise her to take tablet Loperamide with your doctor's advice

The adult dose of this is two capsules at first. This is followed by one capsule after each time she passes some diarrhoea up to a maximum of eight capsules in 24 hours.

The medicine works by slowing down her guts activity.

She could take it no longer than five days.

One of the common cause of such diarrhoea is an infection of the gut.

Many bacteria, viruses and other germs can cause diarrhoea.

I would also advise her to drink water at least 200 mls after each bout of diarrhoea.

She could eat plain foods such as wholemeal bread and rice.

I would also advise her to do a stool culture sensitivity test.

If any infection is found in stool then sensitive antibiotic has to be taken.

As she is having pain below her belly button I would advise her to take tablet hyoscine Butylbromide two tablets 4 times a day for 3 days with your doctors advise

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Monish De, Oncologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad