What causes sudden diarrhoea, vomiting, fatigue and abdominal pain?
My girlfriend is 48 and in good health. She started throwing up around 11 pm last night along with diarrhea. The frequency was around 15 minutes. It has lasted for over 8 hours. She is extremely weak, nearly passed out in the bathroom a 1/2 hour ago and complains about a very severe pain just below her belly button. She had her gal bladder out about 6 years ago.
Any thoughts ?
Could be gut infection
Since your girlfriend is having diarrhoea whose frequency was around 15 minutes and lasted over 8 hours and is extremely weak I would advise her to take tablet Loperamide with your doctor's advice
The adult dose of this is two capsules at first. This is followed by one capsule after each time she passes some diarrhoea up to a maximum of eight capsules in 24 hours.
The medicine works by slowing down her guts activity.
She could take it no longer than five days.
One of the common cause of such diarrhoea is an infection of the gut.
Many bacteria, viruses and other germs can cause diarrhoea.
I would also advise her to drink water at least 200 mls after each bout of diarrhoea.
She could eat plain foods such as wholemeal bread and rice.
I would also advise her to do a stool culture sensitivity test.
If any infection is found in stool then sensitive antibiotic has to be taken.
As she is having pain below her belly button I would advise her to take tablet hyoscine Butylbromide two tablets 4 times a day for 3 days with your doctors advise
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Monish De, Oncologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What can cause abdominal pain with vomiting in child
- What causes abdominal pain with headachedizziness and vomiting
- Light periods vomiting fatigue worried about pregnancy
- Night sweats vomiting fatigue cough
- What causes sudden acute abdominal pain
- What is the cause of abdominal pain vomiting and diarrhoea
- Vomiting fatigue dizziness need to urinate diabetes or pregnancy
- What causes blood in vomiting with severe abdominal pain
- What causes abdominal pain nausea and vomiting
- What causes recurrent abdominal pain with vomiting and acidity