What causes sudden dark blue circle around eyes?

Ophthalmologist
Question
When I woke up this morning I noticed that around my left eye a dark blue circle did form, however I did not bruise my eye? what might it be?
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be collection of blood in eyelid.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. DADAPEER K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

It seems from the history that you are having dark blue circle around the left eye.
This is because of collection of blood in the layers of the skin of the eyelid.
Though the commonest cause for this bruise is injury to the eye or face, it is known to occur spontaneously.
The common causes for spontaneous bruise are systemic diseases like diabetes, hypertension, bleeding and clotting disorders....
If the episodes are recurrent you need to go for systemic evaluation to find out the underlying cause. Otherwise this is self resolving condition and it will resolve over 1-2 weeks as the blood gets absorbed and hence no treatment is required.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you

with regards